vertigo?

Options
MarcieB
MarcieB Member Posts: 523
edited December 2022 in Brain and Spinal Cord Tumors
hmmm...two days ago I posted a question about vertigo, or at least I thought I did? I've been wondering why I haven't had a response, because I know this group - there is usually one or more response even if it is simply "I don't know?"
So I am trying again. I have noticed a tendency to experience a slight case of positional vertigo if I sleep for a long period of time on my left side. I was wondering if having radiation on that side, and some lymph nodes removed could be making me vulnerable? I am just asking if anyone else has a problem with vertigo?

Comments

• Bug
    Bug Member Posts: 390
    edited June 2022
    Options
    MarcieB, I was diagnosed with a "weakness" in my "vestibular system" but that was years before my cancer diagnosis. I haven't heard of radiation or lymph node removal causing vertigo but who knows? I hope you get some good information. BTW, I didn't see your first post on this.
  • beachbum5817
    beachbum5817 Member Posts: 235
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Today is the first time that I got an email from WhatNext about your question. I got vertigo from chemo. My oncologist had me see a neurologist to rule out that the cancer hadn't gone to my brain. After that was ruled out, they sent me to an ENT. After some tests that made me feel so dizzy I thought I was going to be sick, I was diagnosed with vertigo. He wanted to give me some shots in my ears that were supposed to help, but I told him no way was he sticking needles in my ears. I still have it, but it isn't as constant as it was at the beginning. I have to be careful when I stand up or turn too quickly. It comes and goes. If i am having a bad day with it, I take Dramamine, and that takes care of it for me.
  • MarcieB
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Thank you for the input - it's perplexing to me that this question did not post the first time? I saw it loading and I left the page, which shouldn't have any effect, but maybe it does? This time I stayed with it until I saw it appear. I asked because Ashera had mentioned having problems with fluid swelling on her right side where nodes were removed and I know vertigo is all about fluid balance, so I began to wonder if it could cause vertigo?

To be honest, I had times with it years before I was ever diagnosed, but it has never been bad. All the women in my family have had it so maybe I have inherited a weakness in my vestibular system? (never heard of that, but it makes sense). I know lots of women who experience light cases of it. When I played in our church bell choir there were always times when one or more of us would have to beg off helping with putting the bells back in the cases which were on the floor because we had the "bendy down thing" (that's what we called it! - and once you've had vertigo you understand). I have just recently learned about "positional vertigo" and since I tend to get it when I have slept on my left, I thought the question was worth asking.
  • PaulineJ
    PaulineJ Member Posts: 205
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I don't know what to tell you.I thought the symtons I'm experience is from severe, falls I've had on Sept 8th and Feb.5th.I haven't deen a doctor since 2019 that you may not agree with.Plus I don't trust hospitals and doctors these days.Plus my BC supposingly traveled to my aorta valve? and I had an open heart surgery in 2014.I don't know what I believe anymore about these things.Everything is hush hush with all the surgeries I had.And almost died within a week in 1998 from 3 colon sugeries that week.
  • beachbum5817
    edited June 2022
    Options
    MarcieB, there is no such thing as a question that is not worth asking. That is how all of us learn. I like to read all of them. It surprises me what I don't know. LOL
  • tlalex
    tlalex Member Posts: 8
    edited June 2022
    Options
    My radiation oncologist told me I might experience vertigo in certain situations after radiation. I only recall it happening once when landing in a six seater plane about 2 months after completing treatments. My father in law-92 and not cancer related- has been having severe episodes turning or getting out of bed in the mornings. He is being referred to an audiologist.
  • Geannie
    Geannie Member Posts: 34
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Hello everyone

I also just received the question.
    I'm getting ready for a other surgery, but this time it's not my breast.

They recently found two tumors in my uterus, and in a week I will undergo an abdominal hysterectomy. I think all this scared John away, as I haven't heard from him since this new discovery.

I also have a small tumor in my brain and an inflated vein, which causes extreme ptessure, headaches, and vertigo as well.

Not to scare you MarcieB, but please ask to get a brain scan. I personally neglected following up on my headaches and vertigo, thinking it was just my usual migraines. Your vertigo can also be due to an ear infection or even side effects of medications.

I hope you feel better soon.
    Please, everyone, include me in your prayers.

Always praying for all of you, my extended family.

Your friend,
    Geannie
  • Carool
    Carool Member Posts: 787
    edited June 2022
    Options
    MarcieB, I too never saw your question the first time. I’ve had occasional dizziness, though not severe enough for me to label it vertigo, over the years since my b.c. I did have vertigo (with vomiting and inability to walk straight) maybe five years ago. Had to be taken by ambulance to a hospital. Got CT and MRI; both normal. I think it was a complex migraine (have had migraines since early childhood).

I hope your vertigo goes away.
  • Carool
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Geannie, I wish you all the best with your hysterectomy and the results. Please let us know how you’re doing. Sending good wishes.
  • Carool
    edited June 2022
    Options
    PaulineJ, I’m glad you’re here.
  • PaulineJ
    edited June 2022
    Options
    ❤️ MarcieB Given you peace in telling you I did see the first post from you ,but didn't know what to say.But then I decided to go for it no matter what when you asked the second time around.
  • PaulineJ
    edited June 2022
    Options
    ❤️ Carool Thank You
  • Geannie
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Carool

Thank you so much....surgeries always get me a bit scared. I know this feeling is common.

My daughter will be with me, so I know I will be in good hands.
  • TerriL
    TerriL Member Posts: 60
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I also just received the question. I don't know the answer to that. I had radiation and lymph node removal on my right side but have not experienced issues when sleeping on that side. You should definitely ask your oncologist.
  • Bug
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Geannie, I’m sending very best wishes and prayers for your surgery. What is the date? I know all of us will be with you in spirit. And please let us know how you are doing once you feel up to it.
  • Dltmoll
    Dltmoll Member Posts: 71
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Geannie, keeping you in my thoughts as well.
  • Geannie
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Bug
    The surgery will be on Monday, June 13th.

Thank you so much for your kind words!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Geannie
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Dltmoll

You're a sweetheart!
    Thank you.

Today, I'm preparing my hospital suitcase. Any suggestions in what I shouldn't forget to take with me?
  • PaulineJ
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I haven't seen a doctor or hopitals since 2019.
  • Bug
    edited June 2022
    Options
    When I was diagnosed my doctor said, "You wouldn't believe how many people are walking around out there that have balance issues or dizziness or vertigo." And here people are saying they and/or their friends have it or have had it. It's interesting to me that it's so common.
  • Kalee
    Kalee Member Posts: 18
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I recently have had an issue with vertigo as well...i've never had vertigo before in my life.....so, I'm at a loss....it does come and go...which I find to be quite peculiar...I've not talked to the doc about it yet.
  • Kalee
    Kalee Member Posts: 18
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Geannie, Godspeed and lots and lots of prayers for you:)
  • MarcieB
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I'm not sure I am representing it correctly by calling it vertigo? I have never had it to the point where I have thrown up or fallen. Once, many years ago I had it for three days and I was nauseas and that is about the worst I've had - and that was long before my diagnosis. Just every once in a while I get up in the morning with a slight imbalance...it's kind of hard to explain. If it is not gone by evening it is usually gone the next morning.

Geanne, I am so sorry to hear what is going on with you. I cannot help but wonder if you were on Tamoxifen as an aftercare for your BC? I have heard that can happen? But, whatever the cause, it is distressing. You know, for sure, all of us will be thinking of you on June 13, and those of us who pray will be doing that too. I'm glad your daughter will be with you and I hope John will get it together for you.You're going to feel much better when this is behind you.
  • PaulineJ
    edited June 2022
    Options
    MarcieB It starts out slowly if it's that?For me that's how it went and getting worst as I'm older now?
  • MarcieB
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Pauline, I'm sure you are right. There are so many things that I don't know whether to blame chemo or aging...probably both!
  • Carool
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Geannie, most people are scared of surgery.

I had a hysterectomy fifteen or so years ago. It was done laparoscopically (I’m assuming from what you wrote that yours won’t be laparoscopic). I’ve never had any bad effects from having had a hysterectomy. Nor have my friends who’ve had one.
  • beachbum5817
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Geannie, I will be thinking of you next Monday. I pray that all will go well. No matter who is here for us, surgery is scarry. I am so glad that your daughter will be there for you.
  • Mtt
    Mtt Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I've had vertigo episodes about three times in my life. The first time I "thought" I might be having a stroke. Turns out it was benign positional vertigo. Each time I was referred to a physical therapist and after their treatment it went away. Very simple. I would suggest you talk to your oncologist about this. It may not be caused by radiation or your cancer therapy. It's very common! Best of luck to you! Prayers...
  • MarcieB
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Thanks, Mtt, I suspect you are right since I had episodes years before I was ever diagnosed. Of course I will talk to my oncologist, I will be seeing her soon.
  • Ashera
    Ashera Member Posts: 94
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Hi MarcieB! First thing I thought about was your dizziness upon getting out of bed - and wondered if your BP was lower since you'd been laying down. I get wobbly if I get up too quickly. But...saying that...I also will pitch forward if I bend over sometime and get dizzy if I turn my head too quickly.

What Mtt said above just reminded me of something. A few months ago, my neighbor experienced vertigo for a few days and her Dr referred her a physical therapist. This type of vertigo has something to do with the 'crystals' in your inner ear - and physical therapy on moving your neck and head around usually redistributes whatever is out of place. I'm thinking that maybe it's nothing to be overly concerned about - but do check it out.

Re my swelling after donating my lymph nodes on the R side - is up and down my side and in the R breast and chest area since surgery. Don't think it would extend to the bones in the inner ear.

Please let me/us know what you find out?