Pill Blackmail

Options
MarcieB
MarcieB Member Posts: 523
edited December 2022 in Breast Cancer
So, I missed an appointment with my oncologist (actually with her PA) and now my medical *team* will not refill my prescription for Anastrozole until I re-schedule.

I am FURIOUS and considering changing doctors!

The missed appointment was actually their doing, but that is a long story. The point is, I am scheduled to see my radiation oncologist this coming Tuesday. My Sept. 8th mammogram was normal, and my bone density test showed improvement, so why do I need to see my oncologist, as opposed to my radiation oncologist, to get a pill refill that THEY want me to take for 10 years?

I swear, this is because I refused to re-schedule my appointment - which I did because THEY kept changing my appointment times and now I am 4 days away from having a doctor exam, but they are holding me hostage to have another appointment to fill my pills.

You know what they can do with those pills? That's about what I am ready to say.

Comments

• Bug
    Bug Member Posts: 390
    edited October 2021
    Options
    I’ve always feared a doctor doing something like this.
  • beachbum5817
    beachbum5817 Member Posts: 235
    edited October 2021
    Options
    I had this same problem during COVID. My appointment was changed many times, and I understand that. I see my oncologist once a year. I see my breast surgeon once a year. I schedule my appointments 6 months apart, so someone is checking me twice a year. By the time the oncologist could see me, it was time for my appointment with the breast surgeon. I wasn't going to go to both doctors a week apart. So, they refused to give me a new prescription. I eventually went to my PCP, and he gave me the prescription. IT all was so frustrating.
  • omaalyce
    omaalyce Member Posts: 47
    edited October 2021
    Options
    I changed oncologists this month due to the fact that in 4 years I have seen my oncologist about 5 times. His PAs are great, but I'm sorry, I'd like to see the doctor and know that he knows who I am. My surgeon who sent me to him actually told me about my new oncologist. She is awesome. She spent an hour with me and explained every thing she was doing and why. I have blood tests she ordered because my red cells are too big. And I will see her in December. My first oncologist only saw me due to my blood tests and then said let's wait 6 months and see.

My former oncologist informed a friend of mine when she questioned him about why she rarely saw him. His answer was that he has other patients that were much sicker and needed him more. I'm sorry, but that is not who I want to see.

We have to be proactive and fight for ourselves. It is somewhat scary to change to a new doctor, but I know I am very glad I did. I am sorry that you are going through this and if you have other options where you live I would definitely check into them. If you lived in the Tampa area I would highly recommend my doctor. Good luck and let us know what happens.
  • cak61
    cak61 Member Posts: 42
    edited October 2021
    Options
    I think most doctors will not call anything in anymore if you are due to see them. It is maddening when you have been a patient for a long time, or have an upcoming appointment scheduled and just need a refill.
    I guess they want to cover their butts, and make that money.
  • MarcieB
    edited October 2021
    Options
    My doctor (actually she is my doctor's PA) and I had a pretty serious dust-up via my portal. I was totally shocked at how aggressive she became! She said I was contacted *multiple times* and told I needed the appointment with her to refill my pills. - not true - a male scheduler called TWICE and said Megan wanted to see me, but NEVER said anything about it being necessary to refill my pills. I explained I was already scheduled for a check-up with my radio-oncologist and even asked why it would be necessary to have two check-ups on consecutive months? He simple repeated that she wanted to see me.

She got very snotty, claimed I didn't show for an appointment, and told me they (doctors) would NOT give pills to people they didn't see regularly.

It turns out, she had not looked into my history. She didn't know I had been through a scare with my right breast that resulted in additional mammograms and ultrasounds and the neccessity to change around some previously scheduled appointments. It's kind of a long, confusing story because appointments did get cancelled and shifted around, but NOT BY ME. I have been seen plenty this past year!

Once she got brought up to date on everything she apologized to me for the mis-communication and told me she would call in my prescription right away. And she did!
  • ChildOfGod4570
    ChildOfGod4570 Member Posts: 100
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Oh trust me, I know what that's like ... only it's with eye doctors pulling that kind of stunt. I know I was supposed to get a procedure done, and they just kept examining me and asking me to let them know if I want the procedure; then in the meantime, I can come back for more frequent examinations! Ug! I wonder if this happens across the medical board and not just with cancer or eyes. HUGS and God bless.
  • petieagnor
    petieagnor Member Posts: 110
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Luckily, I've not experienced this. The doctors are so overbooked, that you can't get appointments so you never miss one. I didn't know doctors could refuse medication for cancelling an appointment.
  • MarcieB
    edited October 2021
    Options
    petieagnor, the irony is: I was not the one who cancelled any appointments! Her exact words to me were. "We cannot continue to prescribe medication for people we do not see regularly." Well, I may not have seen HER, but I was sure seen regularly by others on my medical team. Like I said, she did call in my prescription, but she is not letting it go - she had her nurse call today to schedule an appointment - despite the fact I have a check-up with my radio-oncologist tomorrow.

Sometimes I feel like the medical people (or at least some of them), have too much power.
  • meyati
    meyati Member Posts: 308
    edited October 2021
    Options
    I went through that before I officially became a patient, and after I was a patient. Try--3 appointments in different parts of town, on the same day and same hour. My surgeon-I still had stitches over what was left of my face, Meeting my oncology radiologist. And the king pin that was supposed to manage my case. Nobody would change my appt. because the super nurse that was supposed to advocate for me made those appointments. My family drove me to the offices. They saw my face and they rescheduled me. I and my family filed complaints against the nurse. They said they wouldn't replace her. My whole family said GOOD, YOU ARE FINALLY LISTENING TO US.. Then I got rid of of the king pin. It was mutual--only they tried to mess with me breaking Medicare and cancer association-and keep me from getting any oncology care. The American Cancer Association helped me find affordable medical-legal care. The Presbyterian-MD Anderson oncology clinic here, and it finally provided me oncology services.
  • banditwalker
    banditwalker Member Posts: 38
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I'm late to this conversation but I now have my PC order my anastrozole. My onc always wanting me to come in for an appointment just to renew a pill, like you say, something I'm suppose to be taking for 10 years.