Have you or would you have your son or daughter vaccinated against the HPV?

Options
BobsProstate
BobsProstate Member Posts: 56
edited December 2022 in Anal Cancer
Head and neck cancer affects men 3 times as often as women, but it can be prevented. If you’re the parent of a preteen son (or daughter), have him vaccinated against HPV. It can prevent multiple types of cancer in men, including head and neck, penile, and anal cancers! #MensHealthWeek #MensHealthMonth

Comments

• JustGrateful
    JustGrateful Member Posts: 72
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Yes, I would.
  • Carool
    Carool Member Posts: 787
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I have no kids. But if I did, I’d definitely vaccinate them against every disease for which we have a vaccine. My parents did for my brother and me. I was seven when the polio vaccine was available. I remember lining up outside my public school to be vaccinated. And if I were young enough now to get the HPV vaccines, I would.
  • LiveWithCancer
    LiveWithCancer Member Posts: 470
    edited June 2020
    Options
    My son is deceased, and even if he wasn't, he would be too old to be vaccinated, but I would have done so if I had been given the choice back when he was little. I don't know if my ex-daughter-in-law had my grandsons vaccinated, but I hope so. To me, it doesn't make a lick of sense to take the chance of getting HPV-related cancer instead of getting the vaccination.
  • GregP_WN
    GregP_WN Member Posts: 742
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Yes I would, these HPV based cancers are proven to be preventable with the vaccine, if a parent doesn't get their child vaccinated against it and they wind up with one of these cancers it's all on the parent's shoulders. I wouldn't want to be in that position.
  • JaneA
    JaneA Member Posts: 335
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I definitely would. We see first-hand as cancer patients how devastating cancer is.
  • beachbum5817
    beachbum5817 Member Posts: 235
    edited June 2020
    Options
    When my daughter was in middle school, the vaccine became available. I think I was one of the first parents in her group to do it. At that time, I don't think they were giving it to boys. I got my kids vaccinated with everything that was available. I don't understand why parents don't want to do everything possible to keep their children from getting diseases. My daughter is almost 28 now and just had her first child. At his next doctor's appointment, he will start getting his shots. I know that there is controversy regarding this, but I am glad I didn't have to convince her that this was the best thing , as far as I am concerned.
  • fusilier
    fusilier Member Posts: 22
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Daughters #1 and #2 were in their mid-late 20's when it came out - they got the vaccine on their own.

fusilier

James 2:24
  • legaljen1969
    legaljen1969 Member Posts: 754
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I don't have children, but if I did, I definitely would have them vaccinated.
  • Carool
    Carool Member Posts: 787
    edited June 2020
    Options
    @beachbum5817, congratulations on your new grandson!