henderson Member Posts: 5
edited June 2022 in General Discussion
Although everyone dies, and I am not afraid, I am afraid of pain and stress

Comments

• Bug
    Bug Member Posts: 390
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I'm the same way, henderson - it's the pain and stress that I'm afraid of. You can do this, though. We're here for you, too.
  • Traceyb
    Traceyb Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I’m not sure what I am afraid of but those two and many more I guess.
  • Traceyb
    Traceyb Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Greg who started this Group, I had just been diagnosed and was a mess, without knowing how bad his condition because he was always so upbeat, and funny about his treatment. I really miss him without knowing him- he had helped me a lot.
  • DoreenLouise
    DoreenLouise Member Posts: 13
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Here is a good link from the National Cancer Institute --
    https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/advanced-cancer/care-choices/care-fact-sheet

The subject is: End-of-Life Care for People Who Have Cancer. The site is from the Federal Government.

A dying cancer patient is most often pain free from the use of medications.
  • DoreenLouise
    DoreenLouise Member Posts: 13
    Options
    Greg was an inspiration to all of us. God Bless his soul.
  • legaljen1969
    legaljen1969 Member Posts: 754
    Options

Loss is one of those things we all feel at some point. For some, it is a fear. For others, it is a big wake up call and signal that we need to be more mindful and purposeful in our lives.

Many have talked about Greg and his upbeat attitude. He certainly knew he had a hard fight on his hands, yet he was always willing to help someone else. He always had an encouraging word and something positive to say. He was that person who exemplified the phrase "Live Like You Were Dying." He never took any day for granted. He packed as much life and experience as possible into every day he had on this earth.

I still struggle with the concept of "how long do we have left?" I don't know if that's a good thing so people can be sure they make their plans OR a bad thing in that we start treating it like a ticking bomb and start fearing the day we "think" we are going to die. What happens when we surpass that day and life continues on? What happens if things don't go as planned and that timeline is shortened? We can prepare for the day as much as we want, but we really just never know when it's coming. It concerns me when people feel like they have a "date certain" expiration date. I worry that some people give up.

I know it's "easier said than done," but try not to lose that sense of humor. Try not to lose your mind.

• legaljen1969
    legaljen1969 Member Posts: 754
    Options

Henderson, it has now been a year since we replied. Please check back in with us to let us know how you are doing. Has the stress eased up a bit? Are you still feeling stressed? If so, about what in particular? Fear of the unknown is one of my greatest stressors.

Hopefully with answers and some time, you have gotten things a little more settled. If not, please keep coming back so we can talk with you and help with perspective.