Vaginal bleeding?

Options
KimmieC
KimmieC Member Posts: 2
edited December 2022 in Vaginal Cancer
Hi, I had breast cancer (stage 3) with all the treatments but have been cancer free for 12 years. Had a total hysterectomy 12 yrs ago. I have recently had pelvic pain and occasional spotting of vaginal blood. Gyn says wait to see if it changes, onco wants me to have elective surgery. But I might go a whole 2 months without spotting. I took lots of chemo and radiation, and had DIEP, plus Femara for 1o years. Anyone with a similar experience or just your opinion about what I should do?

Comments

• legaljen1969
    legaljen1969 Member Posts: 754
    edited February 2022
    Options
    What sort of surgery does your onco want you to have? Can your gyn and onco consult with each other? When you say recently, how recently did this pelvic pain and spotting start? I am assuming it's longer than just a couple of months since you say you sometimes go a whole two months without spotting.
    Considering the fact you have had cancer before, I think your onco definitely has reason to be concerned (as do you). I am not sure I would be comfortable with the "wait and see" approach by your gyn. Is there anyone else who could help serve as a go between with your doctors?
    I hope you get some answers soon. We will be keeping you in our thoughts.
  • KimmieC
    KimmieC Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2022
    Options
    I started spotting off and on about 8 months ago, and pelvis cramping. I have NO parts left. My onco wants me to have exploratory (not elective, sorry) surgery just to have a gyno/onco take a look. The closest one to me is about 3 hrs drive. I swear it feels like I am having a period about every 3 weeks, and every so often I spot. I am BRCA2 positive, but ovaries and uterus are long gone. My gyn says he thinks its just dryness in the scar tissue, but isnt sure.
  • beachbum5817
    beachbum5817 Member Posts: 235
    edited July 2021
    Options
    If I were you, I wouldn't wait. I would have to know what was happening. For me, 8 months would be more than enough of a wait. Couldn't they do and MRI? I know it is easier said then done, but try to be more insistent on what you want. Keep us posted on how you are doing.
  • cak61
    cak61 Member Posts: 42
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Have they done ultra sound, CT scan, MRI? I would think they would start there?
    I'm wondering where the blood would be coming from, since the top of the vagina is stitched closed. I'm sure your Gyn has checked it?
  • legaljen1969
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I agree with beachbum and cak. I wouldn't wait. I am not trying to knock males or male doctors, but I have found that male gyns tend to take a "wait and see" approach more than females. Several years ago I had a teratoma on/in my left ovary. It was large enough that they ended up having to remove the entire ovary. It took me months and months to finally get someone to listen to me. I was having times where I would have a "period" for 14-21 days and then nothing for 3 months. It took 2 cycles of this prolonged bleeding and then no bleeding for me to finally get through to someone. I was so frustrated that I finally told the doctor (a male) that I was tired of being dismissed. I told him that no male doctor would ever let a problem involving his penis go on for this long. Sheepish grin and a quick turn around to the computer, and I had a referral to a more specialized gyn. After an ultrasound and MRI, the mass in my ovary was found and removed within a month.

The fact that you have already had all of your reproductive organs removed certainly makes this mystery a bit more confounding. I know that your gyn seems to think maybe it's "scar tissue" but after 12 years, you suddenly start spotting? That seems a bit suspect. Even if it is scar tissue, they need to find a way to help you and figure out why it's bleeding.

I hope you get some answers soon and get the help you need.
  • TerriL
    TerriL Member Posts: 60
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I would not want to wait. How about a second opinion from a female gyno? I would definitely listen to your onco.
  • legaljen1969
    edited July 2021
    Options
    KimmieC. I think the consensus is don't wait. I do agree with the others that a second opinion may be in order. Perhaps there is some less invasive way of taking a look than exploratory surgery- MRI or other imaging.

Not that this has anything to do with your particular problem, but I am very curious why my use of a correct technical term for the male organ dealing with the urinary and sexual systems was given a XXX. I used the proper term for this particular area and it was given XXX.
  • MarcieB
    MarcieB Member Posts: 523
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Kimmie, I think it is a good idea to take your cue from your oncologist. I am betting your gyno is correct and it is the result of dryness or some other non-frightening thing. But, if you don't get it confirmed you will be nagged with wondering and we all know that can zap your spirit!
  • Carool
    Carool Member Posts: 787
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I agree with all of you: follow your oncologist’s advice. As legaljen asked, what surgery is being recommended?

Maybe get a second opinion from a gynecological oncologist. It’s most likely not cancer, but that’s whom I’d want to see for a second opinion.

legaljen, the WN censor is ridiculous! We’re all adults. We don’t need a censor at all.
  • Teachertina
    Teachertina Member Posts: 205
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I had a wait and see gyn that I finally had to insist on getting a ct scan for pain and spotting. After 6 months of it a scan was done and my kidney cancer was found, size of a softball. Surgery was a week later to remove the kidney, spleen damaged, it had to go too! Very large incision, year long recovery! Have had 2 Mets from it to a lung and other kidney. Don’t wait! I think if mine had been caught earlier the Mets might have been prevented. Not trying to scare you, but you don’t want to learn the hard way like me!
  • petieagnor
    petieagnor Member Posts: 110
    edited August 2021
    Options
    You all have great points. I agree. The wait & see attitude isn't good advice. Yes, Kimmie, 3 hr drive sucks, but may save your life.
  • alivenwell
    alivenwell Member Posts: 84
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Bleeding may originate from another area. Look up a noncancerous lichen sclerosis. There can be small tears in tissue.