Oncologist recommendation in NYC area or Long Island, NY.

Options
jvbaseballmom2
jvbaseballmom2 Member Posts: 11
My friend was just diagnosed with ovarian cancer. Can anyone recommend an excellent oncologist in the Long Island, NY or NYC area (possibly specializing in ovarian cancer)? I live in another state and am unfamiliar with oncologists to refer her to. I appreciate your guidance.

Comments

• MarcieB
    MarcieB Member Posts: 523
    edited June 2021
    Options
    I wish I had a name for you. This site gets responses from all over the US, but I don't know of any ovarian survivors here from the specific area you need? Like you, I am hopeful someone who can answer your question will show up.

If you want to help your friend, the best thing you can do is be there to listen. She is certainly going to be overwhelmed pretty soon, but there has been so much progress in this area, there is a lot of room for hope. She will need you to be her cheerleader.
  • legaljen1969
    legaljen1969 Member Posts: 754
    edited June 2021
    Options
    @Carool, anyone you know??? You probably live more "close by" than anyone else I am acquainted with at this time.

I do agree with Marcie. Being a listening ear is invaluable. I hope someone pops up soon for you.
  • Kylerem
    Kylerem Member Posts: 16
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Hi. I have ovarian cancer and have been a patient at MSKCC in NYC for almost 3 years. Dennis Chi did my debulking surgery and Vicky Makker is my oncologist. I would highly recommend them both. They have a great team of surgeons and oncologists there. You really can’t go wrong with any of them.
  • Carool
    Carool Member Posts: 787
    Options
    I second Kylerem’s recommendation of MSK. I didn’t have ovarian cancer (I was treated at MSK for breast cancer), but they’re the best cancer hospital in this area. I did have my hysterectomy at MSK (it was an elective surgery, and everything was benign). This was maybe 15 years ago. My surgeon was Dr. Nadeem Abu-Rustum, who works with gynecological cancers. He’s still at MSK. As Kylerem said, they’re all excellent. I wish your friend all the best.
  • legaljen1969
    edited June 2021
    Options
    MSK must be one of the very best around. I think you all know I have posted about a little girl here in SC, Riley Faith. She lives in the upstate of South Carolina (across the state from me). She and her family travel to MSK every few weeks ( would say at least once a month) for her to have Keytruda treatments.

It must really be something for them to drive all the way there from SC monthly.

Many prayers for all of you.
  • Carool
    Options
    legaljen, I follow her on FB. It’s crazy that she can’t get those treatments at a hospital near her. I’d imagine that something could’ve been arranged. That’s really sad.

I saw yesterday that she’s wearing a wig of her sister’s hair. TBH, I hadn’t seen any post about her recently until yesterday, the day I read your comment referring to her.
  • legaljen1969
    edited June 2021
    Options
    @Carool, I think if you look way back in the history- there is some explanation about how and why they came to start the treatments at MSK. Perhaps the more local hospitals, even if they either (1) are pediatric hospitals or (2) are research hospitals- perhaps they are not prepared to do such a treatment on such a young patient. I feel like her age has much to do with it. She is such a precious little thing. Still though, I think her family is very confident she is in good hands at MSK. I think if I had something really serious, I would look carefully at MSK an an option. Though, we have many good hospitals that are local.
  • Carool
    Options
    legaljen, I’ll do that. Thanks!