Vitamin D level

Options
Terri
Terri Member Posts: 36
edited December 2022 in Colorectal Cancer
what is the optimum Vitamin D level for someone with Cancer? it is supposed to protect against COVID too. I have had mine measured and its 40 now, the highest its ever been. Opinions??

Comments

• Lynne-I-Am
    Lynne-I-Am Member Posts: 89
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Terri, Vitamin D is known to strengthen your immune system. I have taken Vitamin D 2000IU daily for the past six years with both my gp’s and gynecologist oncologist’s blessings. I had my vitamin D level checked once years ago before starting the supplement , and found out my Vitamin D level was within normal limits. Normal according to research I did is usually considered between 30-50 , so, your right in the middle at 40. I know there has been some testing done as relates to increased intakes of Vitamin D and its effects in fighting cancer but , at least to my knowledge , nothing definitive as been proven yet. But, as I stated, we do know it strengthens your immune system , so , I am all in.
  • JaneA
    JaneA Member Posts: 335
    edited December 2020
    Options
    On the high end of normal is what my oncologist believes or even a little higher for colorectal cancer patients because low vitamin D levels are associated with the development of colorectal cancer. I am a six-year Stage IV rectal cancer survivor and take 4,000 units daily.
  • Terri
    Terri Member Posts: 36
    edited December 2020
    Options
    When I was first diagnosed with Stage IV melanoma, my D level was 8. I really believe that was part of my problem. Cancer is a massive fail of the immune system. Thank you for your information. I am going to continue with Vitamin D.
  • Lynne-I-Am
    Lynne-I-Am Member Posts: 89
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Terri, talk to your doctor about Vitamin D and what dosage he thinks is right for you taking into consideration your diagnosis , your history of Vitamin D deficiency and any medications you are on.
  • LiveWithCancer
    LiveWithCancer Member Posts: 470
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I know that my Vitamin D level was very low when my cancer was discovered. Past that, I don't know much about it. My husband is given a large dose every day of Vit D, but I'm not sure why.
  • KB2013
    KB2013 Member Posts: 62
    edited December 2020
    Options
    D2 or D3? I take Rx of D2, 50,000 iu once a week.
  • cards7up
    cards7up Member Posts: 16
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Your doctor can do a blood test and see what your level is and recommend what you might need, if you do. You never want to get too much of anything, including Vit D.
    https://www.drugs.com/mtm/vitamin-d3.html#:~:text=Stop taking Vitamin D3 and call your doctor,muscle or bone pain, constipation, nausea, and vomiting.