Any Treatment for Advanced Chemically Induced Neuropathy

Options
sandylnelson
sandylnelson Member Posts: 3
I sure wish someone would have shared information about chemically induced neuropathy with me way back when I had my first rounds of chemo. I have had ovarian cancer for over 20 years and have been on many types if chemo therapy....I'm now on Avastin. My feet are so painful that I have trouble walking and as such, my balance tends to be way off causing many falls and accidents. My hands are not quite as bad, but I do have problems holding on to things. I use a cane and/or a walker when I'm out and about, but the pain itself is so life altering. I've tried just about everything including drugs, pain medications, creams, oils and all types of footwear and inserts, but it appears to be too late and major damage has already been done. If anyone with similar issues has found something that provides even a tiny bit of relief, especially from the long term effects of neuropathy, I would be very greatful for this information. I'm always open to new suggestions.

Comments

• Teachertina
    Teachertina Member Posts: 205
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I’m so sorry you are having so much pain! I don’t have an answer for you. Hopefully your doctors can find a way to help you. I just wanted you to know we are here to give you support and comfort any way we can. Let us know when you find out a solution to this awful situation. You will help someone else with that information. Sending hugs for healing.
  • BuckeyeShelby
    BuckeyeShelby Member Posts: 196
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Gabapentin works for me. And I can tell if I miss a dose.
  • KB2013
    KB2013 Member Posts: 62
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I just read about neuropathic pain remedies (Rx) in JAMA and the conclusion is: they haven’t found a cure yet and none of the common Rx are very useful in relieving pain and of course, some have serious side effects.
    Also read from naturopathic site that cayenne pepper is great for neuropathic pain. How much in order to be effective wasn’t stated in article.
    I know I feel like I’m walking on cut glass and haven’t found relief either.
  • ezmonday
    ezmonday Member Posts: 5
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I also am a Ovarian cancer patient. And with the chemo I’m getting I’ve had some terrible neuropathy pain in my feet. Three things that have been helping are a Claritin and a Aleve every 12 hours. Also was advised to take L-carnitine with Alpa Lipoid acid ( can be found at Smiths, Sprouts, and Walmart) 2 capsules in a.m. and 2 at night. L-Glutamine( can be found on Amazon) once a day. Don’t know how any of it works but has helped tremendously. Good luck hope you find what works for you.
  • po18guy
    po18guy Member Posts: 329
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Painful indeed. Just recently, I have been trying a roll-on pain reliever called, not surprisingly, "Zero Pain." It is a combination of well known natural pain relievers and contains Arnica Montana and Lidocaine. About $8/bottle. I roll it on my heel and rub it in. So far, so good. But then I remember that's what the captain of the Titanic said!

As to footwear, have you tried Oofos sandals, made in Korea? A little pricey but oh so soft and worth it. Like sponge rubber and memory foam all on one.

I have chemo-induced neuropathy, diabetic neuropathy and transplant-related autonomic neuropathy. Woohoo! The triple crown.. sort of.
  • Terri
    Terri Member Posts: 36
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I am with Buckeye Shelby with the Neurontin. It really helps me. I must say though I believe it makes you gain weight. I don't know if that is an issue with you. I bought knock off OOFO clogs on Amazon. Heaven. I am wearing them now. Brand name Telic. Much cheaper!!
  • sandylnelson
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I want to thank everyone for all your input with suggestions for my neuropathy. Unfortunately, I can't take Neurontin as I've tried it in the past and have had a very bad reaction to it. I also have kidney problems due to the many years of scans with contrast and other types of procedures that have been detrimental to my kidney function. I have to be very careful what I take in over the counter medications. But you all have suggested several new things that I will definitely check with my doctor and try immediately if possible. I am very appreciative of your time an suggestions. I'm also ordering a pair of Oofos today. Thank you all very much.
  • po18guy
    po18guy Member Posts: 329
    edited March 2021
    Options
    @sandylnelson Just now it hit me to check www.clinicaltrials.gov for any trials involving neuropathy. Surprisingly, there were nearly 2400 trials total - quite a few of which are completed or no longer recruiting. But - many are indeed actively recruiting. I have been in four clinical trials and while none of them was for neuropathy, I am keeping these trials in mind. I think that it would behoove someone who is at wit's end to ask doctor about clinical trials, possibly consult at such a facility, and investigate the available and applicable trials.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?recrs=&cond=neuropathy&term=&cntry=&state=&city=&dist=
  • sandylnelson
    Options
    Thank you, po18guy. I've checked it out and nothing available at present time, but I'll keep watching. Appreciate your suggestions.
  • cruchief
    cruchief Member Posts: 2
    Options
    My Oncologist suggested that I use 100mg of B-6 once a day. Only use Health Store, all natural vitamin B-6. My brand of choice is Solgar. It has helped me greatly. 11-1/2 years after treatment I still go through periods of neuopathy and the B-6 helps.