Chemo Lung Damage

Options
ChongsHusband
ChongsHusband Member Posts: 8
edited December 2022 in Lung Carcinoid Tumor
Hi,

My wife Chong has stomach cancer that was treated with FolFox chemo. The cancerous tumor disappeared after 6 rounds of chemo but a pleural effusion revealed that cancer had spread. We thought that the fluid was causing her difficulty breathing but with palliative chemo and a lung drain she no longer has significant fluid build-up. Yet she cannot breathe, her heart races most of the time and she is totally exhausted. The lung doctor said it was from cancer, but they could find no signs of cancer in the lungs.

She is tiny and the chemo was hard on her. She has just recently stopped chemo in hopes that the chemo is causing the breathing problems. We see similar discussions on chemo-related lung damage. Does anyone have experience and how long before you started recovering and feeling better? Thank you all so much, we have learned so much from all your stories!

Comments

• Bloodproblems
    Bloodproblems Member Posts: 31
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Wow, that is a serious side effect. I have seen through reading the stories of others that the treatment often causes long term serious side effects. I have not experience with that but surely hope that she gets relief quickly. Is she on oxygen for help? And what do the current doctors plan to do? This sounds serious and not like something that should be a "wait and see what happens" type of situation. My best to you both.
  • LiveWithCancer
    LiveWithCancer Member Posts: 470
    edited June 2020
    Options
    What do the doctors say? I'm not really familiar with chemo-related lung damage ... I hope it is something that will repair itself sooner rather than later. What's the doctor think about her quitting chemo?
  • Kp2018
    Kp2018 Member Posts: 105
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I am so sorry she is suffering this difficulty. By any chance, has she had Covid19? That is known to cause lung damage.
  • JaneA
    JaneA Member Posts: 335
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Has she had her heart checked? The 5-FU, which is part of FOLFOX, can cause a heart attack or heart damage - it's rare, but it does happen. I would ask for a referral to a cardiologist to check her heart.
  • Russ
    Russ Member Posts: 15
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Dear Chong & Spouse,
    I have not had much experience with stomach cancer. I had pancreatic cancer, and beat it for 19+ years. Unfortunately for me it returned itself in the form of stomach cancer. I had surgery on March 27, 2019 when they removed 25% of my stomach and part of my small intestine. They had to re-route the small intestine into a different part of my stomach. My surgeon was strongly against anymore radiation. I had 24/7 of chemo for 5 weeks, and radiation back when I had pancreatic cancer. I too had 5fu chemo for 24/7 for 5 weeks straight. In any case you are not here to have me talk about pancreatic cancer. I had what they call red hands and red feet during pancreatic cancer, and also again during stomach cancer. I have yet to run into anyone who has had this same side effect. To me it was a brutal side effect...especially on both hands. My hands were so sore on each hand. I could hardly pickup a utensil to eat with. The palms on each hand were effected. It was old skin making way for new skin on both palms. Then on both feet each big toe had a sore develop...one worse than the other. I have added a picture of one big toe on our Pinboard. My best to all of you...Russ
  • andreacha
    andreacha Member Posts: 196
    Options
    Seeing a cardiologist was good advice. If he doesn't know, find another Oncologist for a 2nd opinion. Prayers for you both.
  • ChongsHusband
    ChongsHusband Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Sorry I didn't get back until now it has been a whirlwind past couple of weeks. Sincerely thank you all for your suggestions and kind words. Unfortunately, my beautiful wife and best friend passed yesterday. Cancer had rapidly progressed and spread to her lungs and liver. I miss her so.

I'll come back and stay active on the forums and pass on anything I can about our experiences with stomach cancer, chemo, the system, etc. I didn't find lots of information for us men caring for our wife so anyone I can help get them up to speed please reach out to me.

Again Thank You and good luck!
  • Kp2018
    Kp2018 Member Posts: 105
    Options
    ChongsHusband, my deepest sympathy to you for the loss of your wife. And, thank you for offering to support the Whatnext community in the future.
  • Jayne
    Jayne Member Posts: 134
    Options
    Sincere condolences on your wife, Chong. I know how hard it is to lose a spouse. The good memories will last forever in your heart even though it might not feel like that at this moment.
  • Russ
    Russ Member Posts: 15
    Options
    My deepest condolences for the loss of your wife. I'm sure there will be many fond memories that you will reflect upon. Once again...my condolences. My best to you and your family, Russ