Today is Rare Disease Day. Who here has a rare cancer?

Options
GregP_WN
GregP_WN Member Posts: 742
edited December 2022 in Cancer of Unknown Primary
Please post what type of diagnosis you have and when you were diagnosed. We hope all of you are doing well today on this rare day.

Comments

• meyati
    meyati Member Posts: 308
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I had a rare one that is an oddball cousin to Gorlin's Syndrome. I'm cancer free.
  • po18guy
    po18guy Member Posts: 329
    edited March 2020
    Options
    1. An unknown sub-type of Peripheral T-Cell non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma, Stage IV, now NED.
    2. Angioimmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma, Stage IV, now NED
    3. 20q deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome @ 26% of marrow, now NED.
    4. Currently, I'm on a break from this cancer stuff. ;-)
  • kathybee
    kathybee Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2020
    Options
    https://breast-cancer.ca/pleo-mor-arcin/?fbclid=IwAR2rVA6JgEfhHBLP2NjlxOip-iGgY4UumARIc--WQFQHuJVRnVXHOQSSMmo

I have Pleomorphic Invasive Lobular Carcinoma which accounts for .6% of all breast cancers.
  • beachbum5817
    beachbum5817 Member Posts: 235
    edited March 2020
    Options
    @kathybee, thank you for posting the article. I had never heard of your type of cancer With how hard it is to diagnose, you must have very good doctors. I hope your treatments are going well. Take care.
  • kathybee
    kathybee Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Actually I have Kaiser - not so great. It took them 8.5 years to find the cancer and at that point it was a 7INCH tumor.
  • beachbum5817
    beachbum5817 Member Posts: 235
    edited March 2020
    Options
    @kathybee, that is crazy. I hope you are doing well now. Thanks for your response.
  • Molly72
    Molly72 Member Posts: 227
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I had Angiosarcoma which is a very rare cancer of the lining of a blood vessel.
    Had it about 7 years or so ago, and had it removed by surgery. A rare cancer that usually is found in men who have worked in a particular type of plastic industry.
  • meyati
    meyati Member Posts: 308
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I had mine on my face and it came up in the late 1980s. I went to the Air Force, the NM state health hospital and doctors, Lovelace, St. Joseph and the university student health center, to try to get it off. These include Flight Surgeons, plastic surgeons, general surgeons, and primary care doctors. I sat naked-bare *ss naked several times a year for dermatology medical students. The health center is the one that set me up with the medical student exams, in the hope the cancer would be removed.

It was removed for biopsy in September 2012. I got my diagnosis Nov. 16, 2012 -it was my son's birthday. 3 years after the initial biopsy and surgery, the scientists finally identified what class the cancer was in--Gorlin's Syndrome.

I had only 2 doctors that were concerned about "IT". A Flight Surgeon that was prohibited from removing it, and Dr. Peggy Spencer at the UNM student health center-both kept referring me, but it didn't do any good.

I do not understand how anybody gets diagnosed for cancer, since they can see a cancer, and do nothing.

So, I think that it qualifies as a rare cancer-when it takes decades to get it off.
  • Paperpusher
    Paperpusher Member Posts: 78
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Hubby was diagnosed with High Grade Neuroendocrine Carcinoma in his right lung. HIs Ki 67 was at 85%. If his scan is clear this month, he will be declared in remission.