Rush Limbaugh Diagnosed with Advanced Stage Lung Cancer

Options
LiveWithCancer
LiveWithCancer Member Posts: 470
edited December 2022 in Lung Cancer
I just heard on the news that Rush Limbaugh has been diagnosed with late-stage lung cancer. I admire him for being open about his diagnosis. It seems like our disease gets more attention when celebrities are hit by it.

In the lung cancer community, we have lost this week at least three people who have been long-time advocates for funding and awareness. One has survived for over 10 years, one for over 6 and I think, one, a young mother, for 7 years. We're surviving longer, in some cases, thanks to immunotherapy and targeted therapies, but more needs to be done to find a cure.

Comments

• GregP_WN
    GregP_WN Member Posts: 742
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I saw that on the news too. I wish him well.
  • po18guy
    po18guy Member Posts: 329
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Very ironic, since he has hosted fund raisers (and personally contributed) for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society to the tune of 15 million dollars over the years. From the web: "Limbaugh holds an annual fundraising telethon called the "EIB Cure-a-Thon"[194] for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.[195] In 2006, the EIB Cure-a-Thon conducted its 16th annual telethon, raising $1.7 million,[196] totaling over $15 million since the first cure-a-thon."

Smoking has claimed so many we know - including my dad.
  • KB2013
    KB2013 Member Posts: 62
    edited February 2020
    Options
    po18guy, anyone can get lung cancer. 20% of smokers develop lung cancer. Only 20%.
  • Molly72
    Molly72 Member Posts: 227
    Options
    An earlier quote by him referring to smoking:
    "That is a myth. That has been disproven at the World Health Organization and the report was suppressed. There is no fatality whatsoever. There's no even major sickness component associated with secondhand smoke. It may irritate you, and you may not like it, but it will not make you sick, and it will not kill you...Firsthand smoke takes 50 years to kill people, if it does. Not everybody that smokes gets cancer. Now, it's true that everybody who smokes dies, but so does everyone who eats carrots ... I would like a medal for smoking cigars, is what I'm saying."