Hormone cream safety in vaginal area

Options
Lorie
Lorie Member Posts: 78
Radiologist told me the hormones arent systemic when applied in that area alone. A gyno told me same thing couple years ago but I didn't think he was right I didn't check into it any further. Does anyone have info on this ?

Comments

• JaneA
    JaneA Member Posts: 335
    edited January 2020
    Options
    While I'm not a doctor, I'm pretty true that that breast cancer patients should not use hormone creams vaginally. As I understand it, hormone creams increase the risk of recurrence for breast cancer patients. You should ask your oncologist this question so that you get the correct answer.
  • Bengal
    Bengal Member Posts: 518
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Like Jane I am not a healthcare professional but I am in total agreement with her advice. Anyone with hormone receptor positive BC should stay away from any kind of hormone replacement therapy. It just doesn't make sense.
  • grammyk
    grammyk Member Posts: 11
    edited January 2020
    Options
    My oncologist prescribed me 0.5 gram of hormone cream once a week topically. It has helped greatly. I am breast hormone receptor survivor of almost 7 years.
  • Lorie
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Grammyk
    Did you know if you ER -PR positive? If so, did you have A discussion with Onc about why he thought it's ok? My Radiologist says new study shows it's not systemic when applied there. I have an acute problem that is totally unrelated to any sexual situation. I know my oncologist is going to say no but I need relief. Lorie
  • grammyk
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Lorie, yes I was Er and PR positive. I was on anastrazole for 4.5 years until I got a DVT. Yes, my oncologist discussed it with me.
  • cak61
    cak61 Member Posts: 42
    edited January 2020
    Options
    My oncologist and gynecologist said it was ok. Stays in that area. Very little gets into the system is what they said.
    I used the minimum and didn't notice much of a difference. I think it was a bit expensive and insurance didn't cover, so I discontinued.
    I'm er/pr positive.
  • Jbro
    Jbro Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2020
    Options
    My oncologist and internist both said using a minimal amount of Estrace would be fine. The risk is minimal and it greatly improves the quality of life. I was ER+.
  • Kylerem
    Kylerem Member Posts: 16
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I recently had this conversation with my oncologist as I had been on hormone cream before my diagnosis and she would not put me on it. I have ovarian cancer and she said it’s not worth the risk
  • Kylerem
    Options
    I recently had this conversation with my oncologist as I had been on hormone cream before my diagnosis and she would not put me on it. I have ovarian cancer and she said it’s not worth the risk
  • Bug
    Bug Member Posts: 390
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I've heard that it's not okay and I've heard that it is okay. Personally, I do not want to take the chance.
  • Lorie
    Options
    Here's something I read. Apparently a study was done in 2019 so that's what my radiologist was prob referring to. But one place, if you read the whole thing, it says it's okay and then another place is that it's not I'm still not sure.

Vaginal estrogen safe for post-menopausal women | UCI Health | Orange County, CA
    http://www.ucihealth.org/blog/2019/03/estrogen-therapy
  • RoxyMom
    RoxyMom Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2020
    Options
    My dr said to keep away from any cream with hormones. Prescribed Vit D & Hylauronic Acid and it works great!
  • Bug
    Bug Member Posts: 390
    edited January 2020
    Options
    RoxyMom, if you don't mind me asking... Will you please elaborate on the Vitamin D and Hyaluronic Acid? Is it a cream that is used vaginally? Is it for moisture and/or lubrication? For some of us the issue is thinning vaginal walls. Does it help plump up the tissue? Thank you very much for any information you can provide.
  • grammyk
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Yes! Please elaborate!
  • Lorie
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Anxious too. Thanks Bug for asking for more info.
  • cak61
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Always interested in finding a solution to this problem, so googled hyaluronic acid for cancer patients and it says should not be used. May cause cell growth.
  • cak61
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Mona Lisa touch laser treatment gets positive reviews, but expensive and not covered by insurance.
  • Kylerem
    edited January 2020
    Options
    My oncologist would not let me use hormone cream so she suggested hylauranic acid instead. It’s inserted vaginally just like the hormone cream and yes, it plumps up the tissue. It’s what women (and men I guess as well) for wrinkles on their face. It is a bit pricey. I think I paid $30 for a months supply and it’s not covered by insurance I just started it so cannot report if it’s working or not
  • Lorie
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Guess we're screwed....or maybe not so much.(: