Do you know the updated standards for screening for cervical cancer?

Options
JaneA
JaneA Member Posts: 335
edited December 2022 in Cervical Cancer
Many women have been used to having annual Pap smears, but the recommendations have recently changes. This change reflects understanding that 70% of cervical cancer is caused by the HPV virus.

There are three screening tests available: 1)the traditional Pap smear, 2) a co-test that is a combination of traditional Pap and HPV test, and 3) an HPV test alone.

All women should begin having cervical cancer screenings at age 21 and should get the tradition Pap (Cytology) test every three years.

The co-test can be utilized after age 30 and the period between testing can be extended to every five years.

The HPV test by itself is not generally recognized as sufficient screening for cervical cancer.

Testing should continue until women are 65, unless they have a history of abnormal pap exams or had adenocarcinoma in situ or other risk factors.

To learn more, here's the link to the CDC updated information. https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/cervical/pdf/guidelines.pdf

Comments

• Lynne-I-Am
    Lynne-I-Am Member Posts: 89
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Hi JaneA, thank you for posting this information.on the site. I would also like to emphasize that every woman needs to continue to have a yearly pelvic exam, even when the Pap is not yearly. The Pap test does not detect ovarian cancer. When at the age of 63, my gynecologist told me I no longer needed a Pap test I thought “ great” . After forty- five years of annual pelvic exams I dropped the ball. I totally misunderstood the message, thinking no Pap, no pelvic. I had not had a pelvic exam for three years when I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. I dropped the ball. .Heads up ladies, we are never too old for a yearly pelvic exam, ( unfortunately ) lol.
  • JaneA
    JaneA Member Posts: 335
    edited January 2020
    Options
    My gynecologist discharged me as a patient at age 64 saying I not longer need a Pap. I am a Stage IV rectal cancer survivor, and my new GYN is familiar with the vaginal stenosis from my pelvic radiation. He always pokes and prods my belly because colorectal cancer can spread to the ovaries or vagina. And I'm at slightly increased risk for breast cancer due to SBRT radiation for a lung met. I get my digital exam on the same day as my physical exam.
  • Kp2018
    Kp2018 Member Posts: 105
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Thanks, JaneA, this is really helpful information. I wasn't aware that there was an HPV test. And, thanks. too, to Lynne-I-Am for the caution about skipping pelvic exams.
  • Dawsonsmom
    Dawsonsmom Member Posts: 99
    edited January 2020
    Options
    There is also new information suggesting there may be a relationship between BRCA mutation and several other cancers besides breast & ovarian....one being cervical cancer.
  • KB2013
    KB2013 Member Posts: 62
    edited January 2020
    Options
    What about women who’ve had removal of all female reproductive system? Are PAP’s still needed?
  • Dawsonsmom
    Dawsonsmom Member Posts: 99
    edited January 2020
    Options
    My PCP continued annual paps until I turned 65. I had hysterectomy many years ago.