Leen826 Member Posts: 3
edited December 2022 in Breast Cancer
Fibromyalgia post bilateral mastectomy

Comments

• Carool
    Carool Member Posts: 787
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Leen826, I’ve never had fibromyalgia, but others here may have. What is your question about this? Thanks.
  • petieagnor
    petieagnor Member Posts: 110
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Hi Leen826.
    I have fibro. It is not severe or so I'm told. I'm not sure about your question. I'm thinking it is open ended to see what pops up on the site. I had a lumpectomy, no reconstruction in '06. I was sore & very tender for a very long time. I have a port for treatment now since being DXed for MBC & a pacemaker for my A-fib. I'm not bothered too much, but clothes can be aggravating. I follow a very tight regime daily. I'm 76, but try to exercise. I eat a healthy diet; sleep or rest 8 hours; watch the stress (that one can make my body hurt). Most importantly, TAKE CARE OF SELF, but don't be selfish. I really hope this helps.
  • Leen826
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Thank you for your response. I should have asked a question. I was wondering if anyone who had chemo and a bilateral mastectomy and was later diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Not sure if there may be a direct correlation.
  • Ashera
    Ashera Member Posts: 94
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Hi Leen!
    6 yrs ago I had a R lumpectomy, and 22 lymph nodes removed and dose-dense chemo before all of that. Then went on for the next year with Herceptin and Perjeta.
    My 'free gifts with purchase' are really annoying all-over pain in all my muscles, trigger points and pretty much anywhere I'm touched firmly. Both my oncologist and my NP have unofficially diagnosed it as fibro. The path to getting an 'official' diagnosis is by a rheumatologist, who first tries one of 3 medications. Lyraca, Cymbalta, or Neurontin (gabapentin) Neurontin and I did not do well together during treatments so I will never take it again. Years ago, I tried Cymbalta and it was a horrible drug (for me) It is near impossible to wean yourself off - takes twice as long as you have taken it. I understand from others Lyraca is similar.
    These drugs have side-effects I want much less than the pain I endure daily.

I also have neuropathy - CIPN - chemo-induced, for which I take tramadol everyday. It helps with the other pain as well.

I also have a really good 90 minute massage once monthly that helps unknot the trigger points in my muscles. Some days she can work harder on me, than others.

I rest when I'm tired, I use heat where it hurts - and it's been great we've all stopped hugging as far as all-over pain is concerned! Although I do miss that!

Please read up on those drugs before you consider. Also, Mayo has a good book on Fibromyalgia.
    Warmly,
    Pamela
  • Ashera
    Ashera Member Posts: 94
    edited February 2022
    Options
    PS Leen - I always leave things out when I post!!!
    I also had whole breast radiation after surgery, and that has contributed to a lot of rib, collarbone, sternal and down my side pain. So with all of this, I'm not sure what caused what.
  • Leen826
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Thanks for your responses.

God Bless