Let's get to know one another!

NGonzalez (STAFF)
NGonzalez (STAFF) Member, Administrator Posts: 28

Hello, Everyone! Some members have mentioned they'd really like to get the conversation going again, so let's start by getting to know each other and/or reacquainting. If you're willing, please share your name, diagnosis, how long you've been a part of the community, and anything else you'd like to share about yourself. I'll start below!

Comments

• NGonzalez (STAFF)

My name is Nicole, and I'm an admin here. I've been in advocacy for a little over 15 years, first as a social worker helping children and families navigate the foster care system in Philadelphia, PA, and I've worked in patient advocacy for 3 years. I love this work, connecting with folks, and listening to their experiences. We always say every story is important and impactful, even if it seems "small". You never know whose life you may change with your words! Outside of work, I love going to see live music with my friends and camping with my husband and our 2 kids (both in middle school this year, please send thoughts and prayers!).

• LowcountryJen1969
    LowcountryJen1969 Member Posts: 10

Hello everyone. I am Jennifer. I have been a member of the community since about mid-2020. I live in South Carolina. I have been a paralegal for about 22 years, working in various fields of law. I had my first suspicious mammogram in November 2019. I had my biopsy in early January of 2020. Initially they set me up for a lumpectomy, but had to keep chasing the margins. It was decided to do a mastectomy of my left breast. I had Stage 1 Ductal Carcinoma In Situ. The mastectomy removed all of the tissue, taking chemotherapy and radiation off the table. I know how fortunate I am. I am closing in on 5 years of therapy with Anastrazole/Arimidex.
    I am so thankful for this community, as it kept me busy and calm during COVID. I was feeling very alone, as I imagine many people were feeling. I cannot imagine the apprehension felt by those of you who had to continue on with treatment and worry about weakened immune systems.
    Outside of work, I enjoy participating in this forum and being cat mom to my crazy kitty Bananas- an orange/creamsicle little tabby cat. I have found myself more interested in patient advocacy lately as my employer has been going through some very difficult health issues- not cancer. His absence left me with a lot of time to think about what to do after his retirement (coming soon). I have determined that I am interested in getting back to a field with more client contact and more "advocacy."
    I am excited to see who else answers and lets us know you are here.

• Bug
    Bug Member Posts: 393

Hi, everyone. I'm Grace, AKA "Bug". I was treated for stage 1 breast cancer in 2010. I had a lumpectomy, re-excision and radiation. I don't remember exactly when I became a member of WhatNext but it was probably not long after my diagnosis. My beloved husband died in March 2022 from glioblastoma. I made lovely friends on WhatNext. It would be nice to hear from others. Take good care, everyone.

• MarcieB
    MarcieB Member Posts: 527

Hi everyone, I'm MarcieB from the old forum. I found WhatNext in 2019 (I think?) just as I was completing my treatment for breast cancer. I had stage 2 ductal carcinoma and my treatment included some aggressive chemo, followed by a lumpectomy (the doctors thought I would probably need a mastectomy, but I had a complete response to the chemo so they felt a lumpectomy would be a better choice). Then 30 days of radiation. Whew! Right? I completed all that by April of 2019, but continued to have infusions of an estrogen inhibitor for another 4 months before they removed my port. I am doing fine, and I am grateful for the wonderful care I received through University of Michigan Cancer Center.

Like Bug, and Jen, I made some wonderful friends here and I would dearly love to know they are still doing well. I was so excited to see Bug's post! and it was so exciting to see Carol (we knew her as Carool), tell her story in last weeks edition! Jen, Carol, and I managed to find each other and keep in touch for the last few years although not as much as we would like. Life keeps us busy and we are NOT complaining about that! But coming here once a week to check in with each other would be so good for all of us. When this site provided active communication we all lifted each other up. We looked forward to it. And we gathered new patients and encouraged and reassured them. I was looking at the communication pages here and had to laugh at how OLD and dated are the comments. There is a post where I asked if lumpectomy filled in? LOL! I KNOW I got a lot of responses to that, but those are NOT included. And now I can answer my own question. ;-)

I can't help but wonder why this site is taking up space with such ancient and obsolete posts? I have to admit I am hoping THIS effort to reconnect us will work.

• Bug
    Bug Member Posts: 393

Hi, MarcieB! So glad to hear from you! 💕

• NGonzalez (STAFF)

Thanks for sharing, Marcie! As far as the old forum posts, we really wanted to keep all the old posts for posterity but due to IT issues (that honestly I don't understand bc that kind of stuff goes over my head), we were only able to keep some and opted to save some of the most recent, which as you noted weren't really that "recent". Hopefully we will have lots of new posts/comments in the coming months!

• MarcieB
    MarcieB Member Posts: 527

Thank you for the explanation, Nicole. I have been out of town, but when I returned I saw this notice indicating another response on this site - now, THAT is helpful! We used to always be notified when there was an additional posting if we chose that option. I think most people did because we had some rousing conversations here.

• NGonzalez (STAFF)

Hi @MarcieB! You can adjust your settings as well to get more notifications. Step 1: Click on the quote icon here:

The click "Account & Privacy Settings" under you name:

The click "Notification Preferences":

From there you can check different boxes for notifications you would like to receive. I hope that helps!