Side Effects | Fatigue (tiredness)

Options
pompeysh1a
pompeysh1a Member Posts: 11
edited January 2020 in General Discussion
Again, from the beginning of my diagnosis, fatigue is an ongoing problem that I work hard at managing on a regular basis.

Comments

• Pilcrow
    Pilcrow Member Posts: 2
    Options

Seems like very few people on-line want to (or perhaps can) share what effective steps they've been advised to take to palliate or remove particular side-effects like fatigue. I haven't found any, but then I'm new and looking to others with more experience for those effective steps. Is fatigue really a "side-effect" or is it rather what happens when your body and your substance therapy are working? In other words, is fatigue necessary to the curative effect of the anti-cancer therapy involved? I have no answers to those questions yet and would love to know if you do.😕

• Pilcrow
    Pilcrow Member Posts: 2
    Options

I spoke too soon in the above comment. There is some information at the National Cancer Institute (NCI). Here's the URL: Fatigue - NCI

It's not the definitive answer, but it's more complete than anything else I've seen. And this is the patient version. There's also a separate, professional version of the article available at the same place.

My situation is perhaps not yours: I'm 78 years old and my wife is a complete invalid whose carer I am. So I can't just lie around and sleep all day. And forcing myself to go against the fatigue is really rough. I know it's the easy way out but I really do need a pill to take that gets me back to normal at least for 3-4 hours a day.

• po18guy
    po18guy Member Posts: 329
    Options

A few thoughts. All cancer treatment takes a toll on your bone marrow. One reason for so much blood work is to monitor how your marrow is doing. What does doctor have to say? Are there any available fatigue studies that you might participate in? The hospital or treatment facility most likely has a nurse, nutritionist or physical therapist who can provide some direction as to regaining some level of function. I am a few years behind you, but I have found that exercise can help. The challenge is how to begin if you can barely move?

Can you walk, ride a bicycle? Do you have some type of exercise machine at home? Can family, neighbors or friends stop by maybe once per week to give you a break? At-home nursing, if you do not have it, may be available through your insurance plan, or through city, county or state programs for your wife. We each need some time for ourselves and since it does not appear by itself, we must seek it out. All the best to the two of you moving forward.

• legaljen1969
    legaljen1969 Member Posts: 754
    Options

I was going to ask the question that Po18guy addressed. Is there any possibility for payment for home health care for you or your wife under an insurance policy? You may also be able to talk to a social worker at the hospital, especially if there is a counselor or social worker that specializes in cancer. Does your treatment facility have a "nurse navigator?" I found that the nurse navigators that worked with the oncology providers where I live were invaluable. They provided answers to questions I hadn't even thought to ask yet.

I know Pilcrow is looking for actual "treatment" answers- something to provide energy or help with the fatigue. Please ask LOTS of questions to your oncologist and any of the nurses or other treatment providers. I am hoping some of the wonderful people here can step up and answer your questions.

Unfortunately, this site used to be much more active. People used to jump on all the time. Please be patient. Those of us who have been around for awhile are trying to get the discussion moving again.

When I get home from work, I will do a little looking around to see if I can find any other resources for you. Also, you may want to check in a forum for your specific type of cancer. Sometimes people are more open in the specific forums.

My thoughts are with you as you all find ways to battle the fatigue that seems to come with treatment.