Our blog post today dispels some of the common myths about leukemia and lymphoma

Options
GregP_WN
GregP_WN Member Posts: 742
edited December 2022 in Leukemia
There are many, it seems like every day I see things posted about these two diagnoses. Granted, there is a LOT of information about the hundreds of different types of cancer, so we don't hold it against anyone for not knowing it all. But some of these things get repeated over and over. Our blog post today is meant to be an educational piece, information that's good to know even if you don't have one of these. Click here for the article>> http://bit.ly/334mplP

Comments

• po18guy
    po18guy Member Posts: 329
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Very good! Of note is that lymphoma staging is completely different from other cancers.Stage III and IV are actually very common, but are used mostly to direct treatment. As well, lymphoma is not "usually" an emergency. A lot more research is needed against the acute leukemias, their survival rates are still too low.
  • GregP_WN
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I was staged for Hodgkin's lymphoma back in '88 with major abdominal surgery, biopsies, and cat scan. My how times have changed.
  • po18guy
    po18guy Member Posts: 329
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Indeed! Surgery is rarely needed with lymphoma - generally only if a tumor is pressing on an organ or artery and affecting body function. Aside from that, systemic treatment, occasional radiation, and increasingly less toxic and more effective biological drugs is the word now.
  • GregP_WN
    Options
    After I started thinking about that surgery I remembered what they did. Biopsied my liver, took out my spleen, removed a lot of lymph nodes from the abdomen to be biopsied, That ranks up in the top two of the worst surgeries I've ever had.