Lung cancer and the military

Options
BuckeyeShelby
BuckeyeShelby Member Posts: 196
edited December 2022 in Lung Cancer
There was an interesting article in the Columbus Dispatch today about a young man fighting lung cancer. He was deployed to the Middle East and worked the burn pits. A healthy young soldier develops stage IV lung cancer. https://www.dispatch.com/news/20200219/honored-soldier-blames-burn-pit-exposure-for-stage-4-lung-cancer

Comments

• BuckeyeShelby
    BuckeyeShelby Member Posts: 196
    edited February 2020
    Options
    PS -- to all members of our community who served, thank you for your service.
  • GregP_WN
    GregP_WN Member Posts: 742
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I have seen several health issues that soldiers are facing after returning. My brother-in-law has a partial disability on several health problems. Cancer isn't one of them, luckily.
  • Dawsonsmom
    Dawsonsmom Member Posts: 99
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Yes, I live near a large military base and these young guys are coming home with a whole host of medical & psychological problems. So very tragic.
  • Dawsonsmom
    Dawsonsmom Member Posts: 99
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I correct myself, these young people, not just young guys.
  • JaneA
    JaneA Member Posts: 335
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Firefighters here in the US are considered high-risk for lung cancer with screening recommendations now recommended for them. The burn pit is obviously like being a firefighter, and these soldiers should get protection gear and recommended screenings since they are at high risk for lung cancer.